Pittsview: pair of historic churches
In the tiny hamlet of Pittsview – an unincorporated community in Russell County – are two exceptional examples Carpenter-Gothic churches that stand side-by-side on a scenic wooded street. One is the United Methodist built in 1893 and the other is the Pittsview Baptist Church built in 1897. Both are thought to be constructed by master carpenter and Pittsview resident William Marshall Burt. Both churches are white painted wood-frame with pointed arches over the windows and graceful steeples above the bell towers. Today, shared services are offered on alternating Sundays to help sustain church attendance.
Photo credit: unknown